Punchline Communications Inc. offers three types of editing services.
Substantive editing looks at the big picture — the general structure, flow, and content of your publication — focusing on
- whether the topic is comprehensively covered
- whether the publication, taken in its entirety, is clear
- whether any information needs to be added, reorganized, or removed
We will suggest improvements to ensure your publication’s structure is clear, comprehensive, and logical.
Stylistic editing examines the text at its paragraph level, focusing on
- word choice and vocabulary
- tone and voice
- logic and flow
- beginnings, endings, and transitions
- slang, inappropriate language, and jargon
- formality (or informality)
We will identify and explain potential issues in your text and suggest improvements.
Our basic copy-editing package ensures correctness, clarity, and consistency throughout your text, focusing on
- identifying and suggesting solutions to grammar, spelling, punctuation, and usage issues
- eliminating ambiguity
- ensuring consistency in tables and figures
- establishing consistency in presentation throughout your text (parallelism)
- resolving factual inconsistencies (such as basic math and proper names)
Our copy-editing PLUS package includes all the services provided in our basic copy-editing package, and in addition, provides
- editing photo captions
- markup of heading levels for production editors
- identifying copyright or libel issues
- identifying design and typography issues
If you are not sure what kind of editing your document needs, send us an email at email@example.com, including a sample of your text, and we will provide you with options and our service recommendations.